Sister Elkins

Sister Elkins

Monday, June 9, 2014

Mosquitoes and Miracles

Monday, June 09, 2014


Dear Family and Friends,


Well, I'm glad to report that my sweat glands and pores are fully functioning. They still work in hot, humid weather. You know you've had a good day’s work, is when you get home and change clothes you could wring your sweaty clothes out. I've decided that I like hot weather. Hot weather is nice. But humidity. I can live without that. That can just go away in stay in a corner somewhere. 

I also learned that bugs are just starting to come out! How that is possible I'm not sure. But they are now fully out and ready to play. Yaya!.....NOT! I found out this week that I'm allergic to mosquito bites. When I get by them they would swell, then turn into these purple and black bruises. It looks like Sister Harris is beating me.

Good thing I'm not in a place where there are lots of mosquitoes or anything. Otherwise that might be hard....jk I just have to use tons of bug spray...lots and lots of it. 
That's my dealings of this strange new land of Talihina. 

I have to tell you about this amazing experience I had with some investigators. Before I get into it, I have to remind you a few things about me.

First of all, as most of you know I'm TERRIBLE at memorizing stuff. It's a REAL challenge of for me, something that I have always struggled with.

For the last two weeks I have been working on memorizing Joseph Smith's first prayer. I had been working on it every chance that I got. To the point that I think I was getting on Sister Harris’ nerves a bit.

Which is all good. It will teach her patience. lol Which is already has, because she's dealing with me. :)
Anyways, as much as I have been working on it, I still couldn't get it down. 

Now back to the investigators, we had entered their home and see that they had been watching the "Finding Faith In Christ" movie. That they just found in their apartment. They had no idea that it was one of the church movies. What was so awesome about it was that the spirit was already there! The inviting of the spirit was already taken place. 

Right off the bat, the first thing Dax says to us is "Tell me about Joseph Smith". I knew what was going to happen. I was going to share that scripture that I had been working so hard on memorizing.

My companion wanted me to tell them the story of Joseph Smith, because she knew that I had a special relationship with the story. I said a prayer in my heart that I wouldn't stutter, and that I would be able to share that scripture that I had memorized with them.

I began the story of Joseph Smith. Right as I opened my mouth, I could feel my nervousness leave my body. I felt calm and I knew that the Spirit was there.

I told them that Joseph Smith was a young boy, who was looking for the one true church. That he had opened his scripture to James 1:5. Looking for answers, when he read that verse saying "If any of you lack Wisdom let them ask of God".

I told them that Joseph Smith did what that said and went out to a grove of trees. Got on his knees and prayed to Heavenly Father. Then came the part of sharing that scripture, the moment had come for me to share it. 


16 But, exerting all my powers to call upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into despair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.
 17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I sawtwo Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description,standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My BelovedSon. Hear Him!

As I opened my mouth, I felt the Spirit enter that room with such force. I shared that scripture for the first time, being able to say it without any problems. I said it with power and looked them in the eye. Wanting them to know what I felt towards Joseph Smith. That he really saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

I had Goosebumps all over me and as I spoke I knew that they could feel the Spirit there. They had tears in their eyes and knew what I spoke was true. 

I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet. I know that what took place in that grove of trees was truly a special experience. I've been in that grove of trees. I know what took place there really happened.

I'm so grateful for Joseph Smith for bringing about the restoration of the gospel. For translating the Book Of Mormon. I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and helped me memorize that scripture so I can share His message. I'm truly blessed and watched over. How great is this work!!! 

Love to all!


Sister Elkins         

No comments:

Post a Comment