Sister Elkins

Sister Elkins

Monday, November 10, 2014

Come What May and Love it!

Dear Family and Friends,

Sister Elkins hurt her hand.
This week has been interesting. We started serving at a Native American Family History Center. Where we do, what the genealogy folks would call Indexing. We put the information that they have and type it into this huge database. I'm sure my Mom would be so proud that I'm doing family history work. lol I had to laugh when we started doing this project. Before my mission I would never see myself doing family history work. I thought it was lame and BORING! Now, I know differently. It's actually....well I can't even believe I'm going to say this, but *gulp* It's fun! Wow, I can't believe I said that! That burned a little bit...... 
My favorite part about family history is finding out people's stories. I may not know whole lot about genealogy, but I do know stories. Everyone has one and it's wonderful when you get to find something out about someone.

This week, we found out that our "Court Ordered" investigator's are moving, and we won't be able to teach them any more. Which is rather sad, but a good thing too. They haven't been coming and they weren't going to make all the requirements for the court. Meaning things could have gotten really dicey for us. As missionaries we are to avoid situations that could involve court issues. That would have been hard to do with these investigators.

We had a day this week, where it seemed that everyone was being attacked by the spirit of contention. Everywhere we went people where fighting and in just a bad mood. Yet, Sister Bagby and I where happy as we can be! We where laughing and trying to cheery people up, but some people where determined to be in a bad mood.  
Can't stay in a bad mood around these two!

Brother Cooper, our recent convert, got the Priesthood on Sunday!! He looked really happy to have it and be worthy of it! If everything goes according to plan he will attend the Temple for the first time on Friday! Yay we are going to the Temple!! Can you tell we are excited?!

Our investigator Sydney is in a mental institution for troubled teens. It was fun and exciting to teach her there. It was definitely a first for me and kind of fun and exciting. Especially when you get to go down a creepy dark alleyway to get the building door. It's so creepy that Sister Bagby has to sing a hymn while we walk there or she will walk really fast and almost ditch me down the alley.

Then we went and saw a lesson with a lady that I shall call "Susie" to protect her identity. We got there and right away we knew that something was bothering her. "Susie" had completely broken down and told us some deep, and horrible trials that she's going through. Her trials are big and more then anyone should have to bare. Her trials are unfair and seem impossible to go through. I didn't know how to make everything all better. I didn't know the words or actions on what to do. I felt so helpless and unqualified on helping her. Then I realized, that I didn't have the words to say, but the scriptures do! Right away, I thought of a scripture to share with her. It was Proverbs 3: 5-7. Which says:

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and  lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eye: fear the Lord."

I knew that the spirit was with me to give me the right words on what to say. I told her to trust in God. He loves you and wants to look after you. Bad things may happen, but he isn't going to leave you. You are not alone in this. There are people right here who love you and care for you. Like it says in this scriptures we can't direct our own paths, Heavenly Father will be there to guide you as you go through this difficult time. I know that this burden is hard for you to bare, but never forget that you are alone. You have the gift of the Holy Ghost, he is your personal companion. He will be with you 24/7. He can be a great comfort to you.

By the end of the lesson, I don't know if I made a difference on anything. I know that she felt a smidge better then she did before. I know that we all have our own difficult trials. Some that seem to big and heavy for us to carry on our own. That we can't see the bright side of the situation or if we'll ever be happy again. We can be doing all the right things in life and still have hard trials thrown at us. I do know this. We are not alone in this. Heavenly Father will not forsake us. We are not alone, no matter how much we feel that way. I know that He is there for us. Carrying us through it. Doesn't matter if we can feel it or not. He's there. I know this. 

On visiting "Susie" I forgot all about my issues and personal problems. They didn't matter any more. I'm here to not focus on myself, but on others. I want others to know that they are not alone. That the gospel is right there to help them through anything. I know this to be true.

I love and miss you all.  

Sister Elkins

No comments:

Post a Comment